Monday, November 8, 2010

My thoughts


"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

that is what has been on my mind.... is it ok to shine? sometimes i feel like when i stand up for things that are important to me i am making someone else feel belittled... its like im rubbing it in someone else's face that i believe differently than them. i don't feel that way and i don't want them to think that way but when i say something they get " the look" i don't like that look "the look" says... sister hofheins is in missionary mode again, how to i respond to that... is it really or is that the real Cami coming through and i have just now begun to have the courage to do what i want to do. or am i just trying to be what i think i should and not necessarily what i want. what is the difference and how do you know when its you or when its someone else's influence on you, or....... your doing it because others expect it from you. i have always loved this quote but i makes me think of what my desires are and what my motivation is for doing the things that i do.... i hope and pray that by shinning others are able to shine, that would be the ideal. that would be the greatest motivation to shine because someone else will have the power to do the same. but how do you know? how do you know the power or influence of your choices. maybe you can't but thats just what has been on my mind....

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure you've heard the theory that you are how you act. action=habit=person

    The question should never be 'how do I keep from offending others'

    'let your light so shine that they may see your good works'

    You be who you want to be and you will find that woman is already inside of you, waiting to burst forth.

    then those people who don't agree will move on and you will be surrounded by only those that truly love you.

    I love this quote as well. I think it means that we ought to stand up and brave the storm, show others that we are not afraid to be ourselves.

    And who are you? You are a daughter of God. You were made with the love and grace of God and you should not forget that it is Him that we aim to please.

    There is a quote I love from Lord of the Rings where Aragorn asks Eowyn:

    "What do you fear my lady?

    A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.

    You are the daughter of Kings, I do not think that will be your fate."

    I am constantly reminded of that last bit--A daughter of a King.

    That's who we are. Why would we hide that from the world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You pose some important considerations, Cam. The answers will most likely only present themselves as you are brave enough to wrestle and live with the questions as you go. Waiting to have the answers before you begin the experience never works as far as I can tell. Be brave :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, that makes alot of sense... and it gives hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok when you make a blog you need to inform your family... you get home in 4 ish days. I can't wait. I remember struggling with those same questions. I remember that same look and that same feeling. You will figure it out, a little at a time. There is a balance somewhere, it makes me think about what the Savior may have been like during his sojourn on earth. I feel like I would make people feel less righteous sometimes or something. Christ didn't. What was the Saviors tactic...Somehow he drew people in with his love. Not with what he said so much as what he DID. I don't know, just some random thoughts I had whilst enjoying your post. I am totally adding you to my blog list, duh!

    ReplyDelete