Wednesday, July 3, 2013

oh that grin...

This is Hilda, she is growing to be one of my most favorite children. Her dad is John Peter and we work with him through HASNN. So I work with him A LOT! I frequent their house as well because their family is simply the best. They are always happy and they have such a good spirit in their home. I feel comfortable when I am there, even if they try to feed me and make sure I have a soda and try to pamper me I feel like it is a home away from home. And Hilda is one of the cutest people I have ever met! She has the best scowl and smile, which she only gives up on special occasions, or If I blow on her belly. That always seems to get a smile out of her.

But the reason for her mention is that she was one of the staple members during the HIV testing day that happened on Friday. Yep, it actually happened! Wahoo!!!! So excited about that. It was so great. We tested 270 people. 28 of them tested positive. Which is a little over 10% which is a really high number. But we are so grateful that we were able to test them because HASNN can now follow up with them and help them to live a happy positive life. I remember the first testing day that I did and how it literally sent me into my “deep thoughts and reflection cami time” it really made me think so differently. But now, I think I have come to be able to understand more fully what being HIV means, and really, if you catch it early and take your medication it is SO much better to know. It truly and honestly isn’t a death sentence. Only if you don’t take care of it does it progress to AIDS. But there are so many other diseases that can kill you and HIV shouldn’t be one of them. So I just wanted to let you all know that HIV testing happened and it went really well thanks for the project lead Alyssa. She worked so hard and it turned out amazing! 

This is most of the group that made it happen!!!!!
And some videos of me dancing with some of the kids in namatala... It was fun

No comments:

Post a Comment